Friday, August 28, 2009

Hello, Mcfly

One thing I don't do enough of is Think. Too often, I hit a boss, give it the old college try, if I drop him/her/it, great! If not, I go to wowhead and read what others have green-lit as the best technique. Then I do that. If that fails, I bag it.

I once read an article about how Japanese gamers love a fucking hard game. Love a challenge. And American gamers basically never want to be challenged. They want to succeed but the effort they put in doesn't really affect how much they enjoy the success. I'm an American, unfortunately. I realized that I don't really mind a cake-walk at all. And this "wowhead, show me the way" mentality is really crippling me.

My point is, I've been farming Gundrak, DTK, and CoS the last few days for badges and to gear up my new crew a bit. They are, I find, the easiest instances, although I skip 2 bosses in DTK, which is sort of stupid. Anyway, I'm fighting Eck the Nimble Little Mynx and this thing really fucks my crew up. The problem is basically the same every time: when it drops aggro and pounces on someone else, it can get positioned behind my team and I don't realize it immediately. Then either no one is DPSing or it vomits on my crew and things go bad from there. This fight is a total DPS race (not a hard one, I'll grant you) because Eck has an enrage timer, so any time spent with your thumb up your digital wazoo is .. undesirable. I've been trying the wowhead technique of positioning my team on one side of the doorway and the tank on the other side, with it in between, a little Eck sandwich that should be easily tauntable off my crew and should stop it from springing all over the place. But the little fucker kept wiping me. Something would go wrong, my taunts wouldn't take, he'd facial my team, the enrage timer went off.. whatever.

So I repositioned myself a bit to adapt and whooped that trick. Here's a shot of my team. The key was that any where Eck went, everyone was always able to DPS and it was just easier for me to control him. I need to think more and step up more and stop relying on people to hand feed me this shit.



One last thing, if any of you have watched Hachoo's fantastic multiboxing heroic videos, I have to say that sometimes I find the strategy revolves around "my shaman crew are fucking awesome." And that is a valid strategy. But, no one really needs help when they're geared. They need help when they're in shitty 78 blues and just starting out and need a strategic edge. That being said, I completely love his strategy 90% of the time.

A few other points of interest today:

  • I moved my mage and lock to other accounts. My A-team is now a DK tank, Hunter/lock, ele shaman, mage, priest. They are bringing in the emblems as fast as I can spend them and I'm having a much easier time with every piece I get. The DPS has broken in to the 2.5k to 3.3k range overall, which just makes a monstrous difference.
  • I was not healing correctly with my priest. I now have a macro sequence that throws up shield, renew, and PoM. Starting every fight with this combo on my MT and redoing it during battle has probably doubled my success rate. It's stupid how little of my priest I was using before and probably still am. I had no idea how much PoM would help AoE healing in general. Probably because I'm a moron.
  • It is insane how much better you can play a character solo vs boxing. I was DPSing w/ my DK on a target dummy and put up, I'm not exaggerating, 1.5k more DPS actually playing vs my macro. Now, my macro probably sucks balls, I haven't worked on it in ages and it's not what I use for tanking. But still. That's ridiculous.
  • I know I've bitched before about Hunters but I'm throwing one more thing in. When Eck, or any other boss, charges my team, my hunter is the only one who can't carry on doing what he does best. I remember vaguely that they lessened the range needed for using bows/etc. but still.. a mob can be right up in the grills of my casters and they don't care.. they keep on blasting. But my hunter starts swinging his polearm. Weak. Maybe I should macro a disengage button... is that the one that makes him jump like 20 yards backward?

Here's a CoS kill shot, just because I remembered to take one.

No comments:

Post a Comment